Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies

This one is more of a dessert or treat but I cooked up the Choco Chip Cookie recipe yesterday from the Deceptively Delicious cookbook. I tweaked it a little but will post the original recipe with my notes at the end for how I tweaked it.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
¾ Cup trans fat free soft tub margarine spread
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
¾ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
¾ cup raisins (optional)
2 cups all purpose flour
½ cup old fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt

1 Preheat oven to 350. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray

2 In a large bowl or electric mixer, beat the sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon or on medium speed until smooth. Beat in the egg whites and vanilla, then add the chickpeas and chocolate chips. Add the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed until a thick dough forms.

3 Drop the dough by the tablespoon onto the baking sheet, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart. Press gently with a fork to flatten. Bake until the cookies are golden brown and just set, 11-13 minutes; do not overbake! Transfer to a rack and cool.
Store in an airtight container for up to three days.

***Cameo's changes***
(1)I used two WHOLE eggs which made a "cakey" texture. I didn't believe the recipe needed to be so low fat that I needed to remove the yolks from the eggs. Next time, I will only use ONE egg so it maintains a cookie versus cakey texture.

(2) I did half chocolate, half butterscotch chips simply because I like butterscotch

(3) I did half regular all purpose flour and half whole wheat flour

(4) I used unsalted butter in place of the margarine she calls for. I personally prefer butter to margarine, even if it is trans fat free.

(5) I used the Kitchenaid mixer which I believe mashed some or most of the garbanzo beans. If you are mixing by hand, even though the recipe didn't say to do it, I'd lightly mash the beans. I personally didn't want to bite into a garbanzo bean in my cookies but it's just my preference.

I think these cookies are really good! I hope you enjoy them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment