Monday, July 13, 2009

Crockpot Machaca

For being a white girl, I find that I cook a surprising amount of Mexican food. Perhaps it is due to my growing up in the barrio of Mesa, Arizona, or maybe because I'm a Mexican trapped in this Gueda body. I don't know, but regardless here is an awesome shredded beef dish that I make that can be used for burritos, enchiladas, tamales, nachos, whatever. It's super easy to make and absolutely delish.

Ingredients:

A 2-3 lb beef roast
1 can of diced tomatoes w/chilis
1 can of diced green chilis (a small can is fine)
1 tbsp of cumin
1 tsp oregano, crushed
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp taco seasoning (I buy the stuff that comes in a little plastic bag w/the other bagged spices)

Directions:

Place roast in the crockpot. Mix all other ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Pour mixture over roast and cook on high for 4-5 hours. Turn crockpot down to "low", give it a stir and let cook for an additional 2 hours. You'll know it's ready when it's easily shredded with a fork.

Serve with tortillas, sour cream, salsa, black beans, whatever. YUM!

2 comments:

  1. This was SO GOOD! I added a small can of enchilada sauce (La Victoria - it's like crack to me) at the 5 hour point, to keep things nice and moist.

    The first night we had this with fajita veggies, and later I used the leftovers from that meal to roll a pan of what Leslie called "The best enchiladas I've had in a loooong time."

    Total win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this mexican can't get enough of this stuff! I love how versatile this dish is, burritos, on top of tostadas or on top of rice whatever!
    Thanks Brandi

    ReplyDelete